This week at the DistribuTECH conference, Nozomi Networks debuts our flagship industrial security and visibility solution as part of the RUGGEDCOM Multi-Service Platforms from Siemens AG. SCADAguardian Advanced Container Edition – a first-of-its-kind for our product category – provides industrial operators and cyber security teams with an embedded solution for real-time cyber security and OT network visibility.
This approach delivers a number of advantages, including an industrially hardened, comprehensive cyber security solution with a low Total Cost of Ownership (TCO). It also minimizes the hardware footprint for applications like existing power utility substations where space is at a premium. Let’s take a closer look at this innovative and useful development.
A Multi-Service ICS Security Solution on One Platform
As the leader in the rapidly maturing market for industrial cyber security and operational visibility, our innovative approach addresses the need for more deployment options. We announced a new generation of our solution last November, including the SCADAguardian Advanced Container Edition, which can be embedded on the application compute capacity of switches, routers and other security infrastructure. This format provides fast, flexible deployment options that leverage hardware and reduce procurement and maintenance costs.
“Nozomi Networks has a strong history of success when it comes to working on large-scale customer engagements that require integration with the RUGGEDCOM platform. This was the logical next step. By working with Siemens to embed Nozomi Networks solutions into the RUGGEDCOM RX1500, we are able to provide users a reliable solution with cyber security capabilities baked-in.”
Andrea Carcano, Nozomi Networks Co-founder and Chief Product Officer
RUGGEDCOM with SCADAguardian Advanced built-in provides operators and cyber security teams with an industrially hardened networking and switching platform that includes comprehensive cyber security capabilities. Our product is embedded into the RUGGEDCOM Application Processing Engine (RUGGEDCOM APE) Multi-Service Platforms and will be broadly available this spring. It enables joint customers to:
- Automatically and intelligently discover the assets, connections, protocols and topologies of their industrial network environments
- Continuously monitor network communications and behavior for cyber security and operational risks
- Quickly detect threats with real-time alerts that include the information and context needed for rapid, precise response
The RUGGEDCOM APE is a utility-grade computing module that slots into any of the complete family of RUGGEDCOM RX1500 Multi-Service Platforms. These serve as industrially hardened Layer 2 and Layer 3 switches and routers for industrial control networks that run hot-swappable modules for firewalls, compliance, VPNs and now SCADAguardian Advanced.
The architecture of the RUGGEDCOM RX1500 family is specifically designed to run third party software applications without the complications and inconveniences of procuring additional on-premise computing devices. This is ideal for scenarios like existing power utility substations, where the space allotted for intelligent electronic devices can be at a premium. The RUGGEDCOM / Nozomi Networks solution minimizes the hardware footprint and rackspace requirements. Advantages include:
- Fast deployment and high scalability
- Low Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) due to streamlined procurement, deployment and field upgrades
- Optimum performance and reliability
- Flexible formats, suitable for rapidly changing industrial networks and many different environments
In particular, industrial operators who have existing RX1500 implementations can take advantage of an available slot for the RUGGEDCOM APE to readily implement SCADAguardian Advanced.
Performance, Reliability and Certifications for All Industrial Environments
Over the past several months, Nozomi Networks and Siemens have been validating the performance of SCADAguardian Advanced on RUGGEDCOM APE within both control center and substation environments. Based on our testing, the integrated solution using the newest Siemens RX1500 APE product provides industrial network visibility and monitoring performance comparable to running our solution on our own appliances.
Optimum performance, combined with the high reliability standards and multiple industry certifications of the Siemens RUGGEDCOM Multi-Service Platforms, provides a winning combination for our joint solution. The Class 2 error-free devices feature:
- Electric utility-grade reliability (designed per MIL-HDBK-217F guidelines)
- Harsh condition and EMI (electromagnetic interference) reliability as per IEC 61850-3 and IEEE 1613 standards for electric power substations
- Field-demonstrated Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) of 180 years
- Certifications for other industries such as:
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- Military (MIL-STD)
Making Cyber Security Easier and Less Expensive for Industrial Operators
Combining our real-time cyber security and visibility solution for industrial control networks with the Siemens RUGGEDCOM Multi-Service Platforms makes cyber security more comprehensive, yet easier and less expensive for industrial operators.
As cyber threats continue to escalate, and as the attack surface of industrial systems rapidly expands, delivering an innovative solution that makes robust cyber resiliency possible, is critical.
If you are at DistribuTECH this week, representatives from both Nozomi Networks and RUGGEDCOM will be demonstrating our joint solution at the Siemens booth, #8029.
If you are not attending and would like to find out more, please review the resources available below.
Finally, if you are ready to engage in deeper discussions, the Nozomi Networks / Siemens team is at the ready. To get started, simply contact us.
Related Content to Download
- Press Release: Nozomi Networks Embeds Cyber Security into Leading Industrial Platform
- Siemens PDF: RUGGEDCOM Multi-Service Platforms
- Siemens.com: RUGGEDCOM RX1500 / RX1501 Multi-Service Platform
- Siemens.com: DistribuTECH Conference and Exhibition 2019
- Webpage: SCADAguardian Advanced
- Webpage: Nozomi Networks at DistribuTECH 2019